Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Zucchini Fritters

As summer winds down, my bones sense that my endless free time will soon come to an end. And they tell my stomach, apparently, because I start baking and cooking like a real housewife. Tonight, the menu was zucchini fritters, fresh sweet white corn and Trader Joe's new (to me) marinated chipotle chicken skewers. My husband may have complimented the meal by saying it was as good as ... some other fun things we do with free time.

Boiling corn cobs and baking frozen chicken aren't anything particularly complicated, so today I will share with you my recipe for those fantastic Zucchini Fritters. Pinterest has led me to a few delicious recipes for Zucchini Fritters. The one at Plant Food Fabulous utilized some mint that I didn't know what to do with, and the one at Life's Ambrosia opened my eyes to some good spices to throw in. So with those as my inspiration, and a need to use up the goat's cheese from my Caramelized Pluots delicious adventure, I made some downright delectable fritters, and gluten-free as a bonus!

First step, grate your zucchini. You'll also want to drain it, so put it in your strainer while you get everything else ready, and then smash it with a paper towel to get as much of the moisture out as you can.


Then you'll mix together breadcrumbs, cheeses, spices, garlic, the zucchini and an egg.


Finally, make it into little patties (I make 6, but you could probably do 8), and fry them up with some olive oil. More patties = crisper patties, I suppose. But I really like the softness inside contrasting with the crispiness of the outside.


They take 4-5 minutes on each side. You want them nice and golden brown.


Yum. I serve them with a little dollop of greek yogurt on top, and they are perfect!

Zucchini Fritters

Ingredients

1 Zucchini, grated (about 2 cups)
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
1/4 cup Goat Cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup Bread Crumbs (I used gluten-free)
1 Egg
1 clove Garlic, minced
1/4 tsp Paprika
a hefty pinch of Nutmeg
a hefty pinch of Salt
several shakes of Black Pepper
2 tbsp Olive Oil 
2 tbsp Greek Yogurt (optional)

Directions

1. Grate the zucchini and leave it in a strainer in the sink while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Put all the ingredients except the olive oil into a bowl. (Really, you could use 1/2 cup of any crumbly cheese - feta also works well, or all parmesan, etc.) Wring the water out of the zucchini by pressing it against the walls of the strainer with a paper towel. Add the zucchini and mix everything well.

2. Add olive oil to a large pan over medium heat. When the pan is heated, arrange 6-8 patties and gently flatten a little. Cook 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.

3. Serve hot, with a dollop of greek yogurt.

This served the 2 of us, 342 calories each.

1 comment: